As a small business, the name of the game is often visibility. If you can boost your visibility, you’ll get more traffic, and the more eyes that are on your brand, the greater the chance that you’ll make more sales.
Some advertisers will make you think you need to have a large marketing budget to gain more customers, but thanks to the boom of social media and other online tools, this is no longer the case.
Here are 7 tools that can boost your visibility and put your brand in front of more eyes — increasing the chances that you will gain more customers:
- HARO: One of the best small biz visibility tools is HelpAReporter.com (HARO for short). Journalists put out calls for information, asking for expert opinions. If you can share your insight with a mainstream media source, then you could really boost your visibility. Social proof can build name recognition and trust with potential customers.
- Local search: If you want to target local customers, local search tools offered by Google and Yahoo! can help you geotarget your audience. Even customers looking for information about local businesses — including phone numbers — look online. Use local search tools, and you’ll be more visible to local searchers and more likely to gain customers as a result. Local search can be a good strategy for small businesses with physical locations.
- Geo-location apps: If you make use of geo-location apps, you can put your business on the map. These apps allow people to “check-in” at your location, which means the people in their networks see your company name. On top of that, customers can see your business pop up on their apps, potentially increasing your visibility to those on foot. It’s a good way to get a little bit of a visibility boost, especially if you have a physical location.
- Sharing plugins: Boost the visibility of your small business with the help of social sharing plug-ins. Apps like Shareaholic and DiggDigg make it easy for your readers to share your posts and products. As long as your items are shareable and interesting, they will be sent to your visitors’ networks, increasing your visibility and drawing new customers to your site.
- SEO plugins: SEO plugins help you optimize your small business web site. This makes you more visible to search engines. And, of course, when you are more visible to search engines, you are also more visible to potential customers. Carefully consider your SEO strategy and then use an SEO plugin like Yoast, All in One SEO Pack and others.
- YouTube: Videos can be a great help in your marketing efforts. YouTube makes it easy to upload and share videos, potentially boosting your visibility. Simple apps can make movies and there are a number of editing tools you can use to give your video some polish.
- Signup plugins for your blog: This boosts your visibility once customers are on your site. Use a signup plugin like Facebook Connect, OptinSkin or Gravity Forms to collect information on visitors. If they sign up for your newsletter and/or mailing list, you can use that as a way to connect further and convert casual visitors into customers.
What are your favorite visibility-boosting tools as a small business?