- Review: Shoeboxed
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
If you have a lot of receipts you want to keep track of — especially for business and/or tax purposes, Shoeboxed can be a great option.
Shoeboxed is a company that digitally stores your receipts, and helps you manage them. You can choose from a number of options, from a “forever free” account to different paid account options.
No matter what options you choose, you’ll be able to keep your business organized, and keep records of your receipts or investing accounts.
|Cost||$9.95 – $49.95/month|
|Mobile App||Yes – Apple iOS and Google Android|
Shoeboxed collects and organizes your receipts on your behalf. You can accomplish this in a few different ways:
- Send paper receipts in a pre-paid envelope
- Online or desktop uploaders
- Free mobile apps
You can scan the receipts yourself, or send them in and have Shoeboxed take care of it. If you receive digital receipts, it’s fairly easy to send these receipts digitally. You can have eReceipts sent right to a personalized Shoeboxed email address. Not only will Shoeboxed keep the receipts for you, but it will also filter out coupons and send them along to you.
Shoeboxed offers other services, beyond just organizing your receipts. The information can be organized for export into tax-filing applications, and you can generate expense reports from your Shoeboxed account. It’s also possible to invoice clients through Shoeboxed. All of your documents – not just receipts – can be organized by Shoeboxed. It can be a great way to create a truly paperless process with your office.
Your uploaders and mobile apps are free with Shoeboxed, and all documents are IRS-friendly so that it’s easy to manage the tax aspects of your finance-related documents.
They are currently offering a one month free trial on any of the plan options. It’s possible to get a “forever free” DIY account, but you will be limited to 5 documents that you can send in each month. Instead, if you are to the point where you would need a number of documents/receipts organized for you, it makes sense to pay for one of four paid-plan options:
- Lite – You get up to 50 documents per month, and you have to send in your documents in your own envelope, if you mail them in. $9.95/month or $99/year.
- Classic – You get up to 150 docs per month, prepaid envelopes, and the ability to add another user to your account. This comes with Quickbooks integration. $29.95/month or $299/year.
- Business – This takes your Shoeboxed account up a notch. You get up to 500 documents a month, up to three users on the account, Quickbooks integration, and premium support. $49.95/month or $499/year.
- Executive – A Shoeboxed account at this level has everything the previous levels have, except you can send in up to 1,000 documents a month and add up to 10 users. Plus, you also get unlimited tax advice and quick turnaround for the documents you upload. $99.95/month or $999/year.
Each of these accounts comes with a 30-day free trial, and you can cancel at any time. If you decide to go the paid route, it makes sense to pay for a year at a time, since you will get a discount. Remember: If you use Shoeboxed to organize your business documents, you can deduct the amount on your taxes.
Overall, Shoeboxed is a great way for you to manage your receipts, if you have a lot that you don’t want to deal with on your own.
If you only have a few documents that you manage yourself, using a document scanner can work fairly well. But if you like the idea of support, and of someone else managing everything in a tax-friendly way, Shoeboxed can work for you.