- Review of: Ally Invest
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last Modified:
Ally Invest is the online brokerage firm of Ally Bank with great pricing, and customer service, making it hard to beat. Unfortunately, the funding process can be tricky, taking up to seven days. If you are looking for a local branch office, you'll have to look elsewhere.
Ally Bank, one of the premier online banks, purchased TradeKing in 2016. Ally rebranded TradeKing as Ally Invest, the new investment arm of the bank. TradeKing was well known as one of the very lowest-cost investment platforms. It focused on self-directed investing and options trading. Since taking over the highly successful investment platform, Ally Bank has added its own features and benefits. This has turned it into one of the very top investment services available.
Ally Bank is one of the leading banks on the web. It offers some of the best interest rates and loan rates anywhere. The bank is just online. It has no branches in your local town. The bank has more than 7,000 employees and more than $70 billion in customer deposits. In December 2016, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine listed Ally Bank as the Best Online Bank.
Ally Invest now serves more than 250,000 customer accounts. It holds a total of $4.7 billion in assets.
How Does Ally Invest Work?
You can trade stocks, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and fixed-income securities. That can include corporate, agency and municipal bonds. You can trade Treasuries, strips and zeros, certificates of deposit (CDs) and new issues. You can also trade from more than 12,000 load and no-load mutual funds. Ally Invest also has a robust options suite. It includes equity, index and ETF options, as well as Binary Return Derivatives.
As well as trading securities, Ally Invest offers its Forex & Futures platform. This features a large range of tools and resources. It also boasts some of the lowest fees available for Forex trading.
For those who are not concerned with self-directed investing or with Forex and futures trading, Ally Invest offers its Managed Portfolios service — equivalent to a robo-advisor. They can give investors professional investment management. The fees for such services are much lower than what is charged by typical investment managers.
Ally Invest Features
|Stock Trades||$4.95 ($3.95 – 30/trades per quarter or $100k+ balance)|
|Options Trades||$4.95 + $0.65/contract ($3.95 + $0.50/contract)|
|Accounts Available||Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Rollover IRA, SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, Custodial, Coverdell, Trust, Individual, and Joint|
|Mobile App||Yes — Apple iOS and Google Android|
|Customer Service||Phone, Live Chat and Email — 24/7|
- Account Protection — SIPC for up to $500,000, with $250,000 for cash claims. Further coverage available for up to $37.5 million, with up to $900,000 in cash with an aggregate cap of $150 million (Forex & Futures accounts not covered).
- Clearing Agency — Brokerage accounts are serviced by Ally Invest Securities LLC, and advisory client account assets are kept in custody with Apex Clearing Corporation.
- Trading Tools — Ally Invest offers a full suite of trading tools to help you become a more successful investor, including:
- Streaming Charts — Six charts with more than 90 chart studies and drawing tools to analyze the performance of securities; fully customizable.
- Market and Company Snapshots — Market statistics, news and detailed metrics and insights on individual companies.
- Watchlists — A customizable list to track and view market data on groups of securities.
- Profit/loss Calculator — Enables you to understand the profit and loss potential of an options trade before you make it. You can also see how outcomes change based on fluctuations in volatility and time.
- Probability Calculator — You can use implied volatility to help you determine the probability of hitting your targets before placing trades.
- Market Data — Provides quotes, charts, high/low prices, dividend dates, overall options summary, news, historical quotes and peer performance comparisons.
- Options Chains — Enabling you to place options trades and even complex multi-leg spreads with ease.
Funding your account — The easiest way to do this is by a debit card. That’s because the funds will post to your Ally Invest account immediately. Wire transfers take one to two business days. These can be done with U.S. dollars, euros, Canadian dollars, Japanese yen, Swiss francs, Australian dollars or British pounds.
Other ways take more time. If you fund your account using an ACH from your checking account, the transfer process will take two to five business days. That means up to one week. If you pay by check, it’s even slower. It will take five to 10 business days to process. The check must be drawn on a U.S. bank.
Ally Invest self-directed fees. Ally Invest’s basic trading fee for stocks, ETFs and options is $4.95. They charge an additional $0.65 per contract for options. This fee is comparable to both Fidelity and Charles Schwab, but considerably lower than the $6.95 per trade charged by TD Ameritrade and E*TRADE.
Special pricing for high volume/high balance investors.
Investors who make 30 or more trades in the prior calendar quarter and/or have maintained a minimum average daily balance of more than $100,000 in the prior quarter.
If you meet those requirements, then trading fees on stocks, ETFs, and options are just $3.95 per trade, plus $0.50 per contract for options trades.
For mutual funds, there is no fee charged on load funds. Neither for the purchase nor the sale. There is a $9.95 charge for no-load funds, for both purchases and sales.
Ally Invest has a $1.00 per bond fee on bonds ($10 minimum). There is no charge on U.S. Treasuries and a $24.95 per transaction charge on certificates of deposit.
Forex trades. There is no commission fee for Forex trades. Instead, Ally Invest is compensated based on the buy/sell spread.
There is no annual fee, no inactivity fee and no IRA annual fee.
Ally Invest Managed Porfolios
We don’t all want self-directed investing, so Ally Invest offers Managed Portfolios. This service provides professionally designed and personalized portfolios made to fit your goals. It boasts auto rebalancing to maintain the target portfolio allocation. That means you never need to worry about maintaining your portfolio.
You need at least $2,500 to open an Ally Invest Managed Portfolio. The annual management fee is 0.30%. That is less than one-third of the industry average of 1.02% for a professionally managed investment portfolio. That means that you can have a $100,000 portfolio managed for just $300 per year.
Your portfolio is managed as with other robo-advisors. Your portfolio is made based on your risk tolerance, your financial goals, and your investment horizon for each of those goals. Low-cost index funds (ETFs) are used to make up the portfolio. This will maximize your return. You can even adjust your risk tolerance and, therefore, your portfolio allocations.
Managed Portfolios can be made for individual and joint taxable accounts; traditional, Roth and rollover IRAs; and custodial accounts. And as with Ally Invest in general, customer service is available on a 24/7 basis with your Managed Portfolio.
Ally Invest Forex & Futures
Ally Invest offers Forex & Futures trading for more skilled investors. You can trade more than 50 currency pairs. These include gold and silver. All trades can be done in real time. The service comes with strong research and analysis tools. There is also a wide range of educational material. You will also enjoy market access 24 hours a day, Monday through Friday (beginning Sundays at 10:00 AM and ending Fridays at 5:00 PM, all times Eastern).
The Forex & Futures service offers a customizable trading platform that includes:
- Metals, agriculturals, indices and bonds from various exchanges
- Tiered commission plans that offer reduced fees for high-volume trading
- Charting capabilities based on over 100 technical indicators
- Indicators, real-time alerts and a tradable Market Depth Ladder — all customizable
When you apply for an account you can open either a ForexTrader or a MetalTrader account. You can open a Forex & Futures account with as little as $250. $2,500 is recommended so that you will be able to take full advantage of the account. This will allow more flexibility and diversification.
Ally Invest Forex & Futures offers some of the tightest trading spreads in the industry. This is done to reduce your trading costs and increase your profit potential. Ally Invest even publishes their live spreads.
As noted above, Ally Invest is compensated based on the buy/sell spread. They do not charge commission fees on Forex trades.
ForexTrader Web — This feature is designed to run on both Windows and Mac and with many web browsers. It has real-time position and account information, a fully integrated charting tool and a variety of single and contingent order types, including If/Then, If/Then OCO and Trailing Stops.
Forex Premium Charting — This offers professional-grade tools to identify and decode Forex patterns and trends.
The tool allows you to:
- Overlay multiple indicators for advanced technical analysis
- View auto trendline indicator continuation on charts
- Easily save, export, print or email charts
- Customize charts to your personal preferences
Forex & Futures Mobile App — The app is available on iPhone and Android. It has strong trading capabilities, charting tools, price alerts, real-time news and commentary, and the ability to manage your account on the go.
Educational Resources. — These help to explain it all. From the basics of Forex and futures trading to technical and fundamental analysis. There is also a glossary. Ally Invest also offers premium Forex education that gives higher training.
Forex & Futures Practice Account — Ally Invest offers a free $50,000 practice account that gives you full access to the trading platforms and tools for up to 30 days. This lets you hone your skills before putting your own real money to work. This is a big plus for anyone who is either new to Forex and futures trading or who wants to improve their skills before going live.
It’s important to understand that Forex accounts are not protected by SIPC or FDIC insurance. They are not guaranteed by Ally Invest.
Ally Banking & Lending
When you invest your money with Ally Invest you will also have an option to bank through Ally Bank. It is one of the most innovative online banks. It offers some of the best interest rates available on any banking platform.
Ally Bank offers online savings, money market accounts, high-yield certificates of deposit, and interest checking.
Ally Bank also offers mortgage loans and a cash-back credit card. Their real strength on the lending side is auto financing and leasing. In fact, Ally Bank is the successor to GMAC, the former auto financing arm of General Motors. They work directly with more than 17,000 car dealers across the country. They provide loans and leases for millions of drivers. They offer their Ally Pre-Owned SmartLease program that even enables you to lease pre-owned cars.
The banking and lending side of Ally can make investing with Ally Invest a true one-stop shop for all your financial needs.
- Competitive Fees — At $4.95 per trade and $3.95 per trade for high volume/high balance traders, Ally Invest is at the lowest end of trading fees among major investment brokerages.
- Comprehensive Platform — This platform can accommodate virtually any type of investor. From self-directed active trader to passive investor.
- Banking Options — When you invest with Ally Invest, you also have access to Ally Bank, which has some of the best interest rates available on various savings vehicles, and among the most competitive auto loans and leasing arrangements on the market. You can bank where you invest.
- Managed Portfolio Option — Ally Invest has an option for those who are not interested in DIY investing and for those who want to have some or most of their money professionally managed while doing self-directed investing through the same broker.
- 24/7 Customer Service — Ally Invest representatives are available all day every day.
- Funds transfers can be slow — It can take up to five business days (one week) to transfer funds into your account by ACH. Funding your account by check can take up to 10 business days (two weeks).
- No Local Branches — Some of the larger investment brokerages, such as Fidelity and Charles Schwab, have local branches available. If you prefer that kind of face-to-face contact with your investing activities, then Ally Invest probably won’t work for you.
Ally Invest offers one of the most complete investment platforms around. You can do self-directed investing or rely on Ally Invest Managed Portfolios to do it for you. The 24/7 customer service is perfect for those who do their best investment thinking at night or on weekends. We can think of it as an investment platform that never sleeps.
Meanwhile, you have access to Ally Bank with its very attractive offerings of high-interest rate checking, savings, and CDs. The Bank also offers some of the best auto loans for both new and used cars.
The Managed Portfolios option needs a higher initial deposit than other robo-advisors, like Betterment and Wealthfront, but lower than Charles Schwab Intelligent Portfolios. Managed Portfolios also has a higher fee structure than Betterment and Wealthfront. These downsides are largely offset by the fact that you can also shift some or all of your portfolio to self-directed investing if you want to in the future.
At $4.95 per trade, Ally Invest is at the lowest range of trading fees among major investment brokers. But it gets even better for high volume/high balance traders, at just $3.95 per trade.
Its strong services and low fees make Ally Invest one of the very best trading and investment platforms to use. You really can’t lose with this one.