If there's any business that has a clear name explaining what it does, it's Trust & Will. This website makes trust, will and guardianship documents at very reasonable rates. For a fraction of what you would pay an attorney, you can get personalized legal documents for your estate planning needs. It's kind of like a robo advisor for your estate plan and comes with a money-back guarantee.
If you've been putting off estate planning due to complexity or cost, Trust & Will may be a good fit for your needs. A will costs just $159 and includes all important estate-planning documents. And right now you can get $10 off with the code VIPFORLIFE. Keep reading for a detailed look at Trust & Will and how you can use it to build your estate plan.
Trust & Will Features
- Customized will for your state — Trust & Will hired a team of lawyers to build will and trust templates that are legal for any state.
- Physical notarized copy — After completing and paying for your will or trust, you will get a notarized copy in the mail at no extra cost.
- Free updates for a year — Log into your account anytime to make updates at no extra cost for one year. Pay an annual fee of $19 to continue making updates beyond the first year.
- Multiple documents included — Get medical directive and living will forms at the same time as your will or trust.
What Is Trust & Will?
Trust & Will is a web application you can use to generate guardianship, will or trust estate-planning documents online. Depending on what you're doing, it will take around 10 or 15 minutes to generate a will, less time than it takes to watch a rerun of The Office.
Trust & Will has customized forms for every state and guarantees your documents will be valid and legal. Trust & Will says a typical will from an attorney costs $400. This website charges less than a quarter of that to walk you through the process of creating your own will.
How Does Trust & Will Work?
Trust & Will is a completely online experience. While it is self-guided, support is available if you have any questions. You can access chat support on any page of the setup process.
After picking your product, you'll go through a series of questions about your minor dependents, assets and other details for your estate. It also includes a living will. A living will tells your family and healthcare providers what you want to do in the event you are unable to speak for yourself.
These are the most common estate-planning documents no matter where you live. If you have not already decided who you would want to take guardianship of your kids and pets, who should get your assets when you pass away, and what you want to happen if you are unconscious in the hospital, take a little time to think that through before getting started.
How to Get Started
Start by going to the Trust & Will website and choosing between the three different products it offers. Wills are probably the most common need for site visitors. But depending on your assets, family situation and needs, you may be better off with one of the other options.
Once you choose and click to get started, you'll have to create an account with Facebook, Google or your email and a unique password. From there, Trust & Will does an excellent job of guiding you through the questions you have to answer to create your files.
What Does Trust & Will Cost?
Trust & Will offers three main products:
- Guardianship — This product is the cheapest and simplest. It designates guardians for your kids and pets but does not cover assets. Price: $39 for just you; $30 more to add a spouse.
- Will — A will includes guardianship, assets and healthcare designations. This is the right choice for most people looking to create an estate plan. Price: $159 for just you; $100 more to add a spouse.
- Trust — Those with a higher value of assets or looking for more privacy can create a trust. A trust is a legal entity that makes transferring assets faster while avoiding probate court. Price: $599 for just you; $100 more to add a spouse.
Whom Is Trust & Will Suited For?
If you have any assets and want to designate where they go when you pass away, a will or trust is essential. If you have kids, it's your responsibility to choose a home for them in a worst-case scenario where you are no longer around.
If you don't have a will, your estate automatically goes to probate. This is a sometimes expensive, sometimes slow process where a judge ultimately decides who gets what and where your kids go. Your estate still goes to probate with a will, but the process is faster and better defined. With a trust, probate is not necessary at all.
If you are comfortable with a computer and need a will or trust, Trust & Will can help you do it at a bargain price.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. If you're unhappy with your Trust & Will experience, you can request a refund within 30 days of purchase.
- Easy Self-Service Forms. Filling out the required information is extremely simple.
- Low Prices. It costs only a fraction of what you'd pay an attorney for these documents.
- Free Updates for a Year. Within a year, you can make free updates to your documents. Following that time frame, you'll pay a nominal fee.
- Responsive Live Chat. We checked out Trust & Will's customer service live chat and found the experience pleasant and quick.
- No Face-to-face Support. Some folks just prefer face-to-face contact with a professional. You won't get that here.
- No Phone Support. Although Trust & Will's live chat team is very responsive, there is currently no phone number to call.
Final Thoughts on Trust & Will
Trust & Will is a great product for young families who need to get a will in place and don't have a lot of time or money to do it. In fact, I liked the product so much while reviewing that I called my wife and decided to do it myself. With two kids and another on the way, it's time I got my own will! I've known better for a long time, but this site makes it so easy and affordable that I couldn't say no.
If you're looking for a will or trust on a budget and feel comfortable with online forms and questionnaires, Trust & Will is a great fit for your needs.